Monday, April 13, 2009

Trouble In Paradise

On Saturday we moved on to Lake Atitlan to meet up with John and Katie (his girlfriend). After swerving through the mountains in a mini bus without shocks we arrived in Panajachel. The minute I start walking to the boat to take us to San Marcos and our hotel Aaculaax, I get my chest grabbed by a local. What do I do? Well, I punched him in the head and gave him a few choice words.

The boat to San Marcos was frightening. It was packed with people, locals and tourists alike. The water was ridiculously choppy and we were in the front so every time we went up we smacked the water on the way down. It was the worst rollercoaster ride in the world. Like a really bad log flume.

Our hotel Aaculaax was beatiful and very luxurious for the area. There was stained class everywhere and purified water waiting for us.

Meeting up with John and Katie was fun. They had a bunch of stories to tell at dinner.

During this time I´m getting a sore throat. It wasn´t much on Saturday night, but it has evolved into one of the most painful illnesses I´ve ever had. TOTAL bummer. When my nose finally cleared, all the pressure moved to my ear. At least I´m in a beautiful and relaxing place where anti biotics are over the counter. But, how did I know which antibiotic to take? Let me get there...

This morning I woke up feeling a little better so Yonit and I continued with our plan to Paraglide. For those of you who don´t know what that is it´s basically the dumbest thing you can do next to skydiving. We were taken up a winding road to the top of a mountain, strapped into a harness with a pilot strapped in with us, and told to run off the cliff. I went first. It was a beautiful ride over the lake and the local town. The weather was perfect and the sun was shining. Then, we crashed. Yup. We crashed. Face first into the dirt. See, the wind picked up as we were about to touch down and there was no way to run with it and land smoothly. We crashed and were dragged a few feet by the parachute. Thankfully, I have no broken bones, only a few scratches that were immediately disinfected for me. BUT, what really sucked (besides the shock and terror of crashing) was that all of the bad stuff in my sinuses few up into my ear and I wasn´t able to hear and felt tremendous pain. But, we landed at one of the pilot´s houses and his wife, luckily a nurse, gave me all sorts of stuff and recommendations for how to get better. Including what antibiotic to take.

Hopefully this ear issue will go away before we head to John´s site in the mountains tomorrow.

Love,
Eri